A fairly simple, but very tasty way to get your veggie-intake-goal of the day achieved! Shoot for 2-3 cups a day, even more if you very active (more than 30 min of moderate activity/ day).
Stuffed zucchini are also ideal for meal-prepping, since they last for 2d in the fridge, or can easily be frozen.
3 medium sized Zucchini
3/4 c Shredded Feta
3 Tbs Olive Oil
8-10 medium sized Mushrooms
2 Tbs Quick Oats (instant oatmeal)
Salt, Pepper, Herbs
1) Start by slicing the zucchini in halves, then scoop out insides
2) Place scooped out zucchini halves into baking dishes (ideally lined with parchment)
3) Heat oil in skillet, saute chopped onion. Add chopped mushrooms and cook until tender. Add salt, pepper and herbs.
4) In medium bowl, blend oats with eggs, then add mushroom mix and feta.
5) Fill mix into zucchini halves.
6) Bake in oven for 20-30 min (depends on size of zucchini) @ 320F (160C) until flesh of zucchini is tender and cheese crispy
I like to sprinkle the scooped out zucchini flesh with olive oil, salt and garlic, and bake for 15-20 min at the same temperature.
For a vegan/ plant-based version, replace the feta with tofu or any dairy-free cheese.
Extra Tip for Athletes
To add more healthy carbs and plant-based protein to boost your post-workout recovery, boil brown basmati rice while you prep and bake the stuffed zucchinis. Makes a great recovery meal after longer and/ or harder training sessions!